Charles Veasey wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the information!
>
> Using four subs was mentioned a couple of times. I've never used or
> experienced more than two in an array. What is the justification? I assume
> that given a square room, you'd place one in each corner?

With Ambisonics, using three subs (arranged
in a triangle) you can decode to 360°
horizontal-only.  Using four subs (arranged in
a tetrahedron) you can decode to full-sphere.
Note that, because the subs are sent only low
frequencies, you can use a single-band
"velocity" decoder.

With a dual-band Ambisonic decoder, which
also handles higher frequencies, you need
more speakers than three/four.

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org