But see:
Localization dominance in the median-sagittal plane: Effect of stimulus duration
Roberto M. Dizon and Ruth Y. Litovsky
Received 19 June 2003; accepted for publication 22 March 2004

Localization  dominance  is  an  aspect  of  the  precedence  effect in  which
the  leading  source
dominates the perceived location of a simulated echo lagging source. It is
known to be robust in the horizontal/azimuthal dimension, where binaural cues
dominate localization. However, little is
known about localization dominance in conditions that minimize binaural cues,
and most models of
precedence   treat   the   phenomena   as   ''belonging''  to   the   binaural
 system.   Here,   localization
dominance in the median-sagittal plane was studied where binaural cues are
greatly reduced, and
monaural spectral/level cues are thought to be the primary cues used for
localization. Lead-lag pairs
of   noise   bursts   were   presented   from   locations   spaced   in   15°
increments   in   the   frontal,
median-sagittal plane, with a 2-ms delay in their onsets, for source durations
of 1, 10, 25, and 50-ms.
Intermixed  with  these  trials  were  single-speaker  trials,  in  which  lead
 and  lag  were  summed  and
presented from one speaker. Listeners identified the speaker that was nearest
to the perceived source
location.  With   single-speaker   stimuli,   localization   improves   as
signal   duration   is   increased.
Furthermore, evidence of elevation compression was found with a dependence on
duration. With
lead-lag pairs, localization dominance occurs in the median plane, and becomes
more robust with
increased signal duration. These results suggest that accurate localization of
a co-located lead-lag
pair is necessary for localization dominance to occur when the lag is spatially
separated from the
lead.   ©
2004 Acoustical Society of America.
@