From: Sursound [mailto:sursound-boun...@music.vt.edu] On Behalf Of Jörn
Nettingsmeier
Sent: 08 December 2015 10:19
To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [Sursound] OZO? vertical precedence

On 12/07/2015 02:31 PM, Peter Lennox wrote:
> But see: Localization dominance in the median-sagittal plane: Effect
> of stimulus duration Roberto M. Dizon and Ruth Y. Litovsky Received
> 19 June 2003; accepted for publication 22 March 2004

interesting!

i wonder:

> Lead-lag pairs of   noise
> bursts   were   presented   from   locations   spaced   in   15°
> increments   in   the   frontal, median-sagittal plane, with a 2-ms
> delay in their onsets, for source durations of 1, 10, 25, and 50-ms.

does this mean they used the same noise source, where one channel was actually
delayed, or the same noise source and one channel was just faded up later
("onset delay" could be read this way), or different noise sources altogether?

in order to investigate "phantom source" mechanisms, it should be the same
noise source, delayed, which is likely what they did, but i can't check this
paper unfortunately.

> Intermixed  with  these  trials  were  single-speaker  trials,  in
> which  lead  and  lag  were  summed  and presented from one speaker.

> Listeners identified the speaker that was nearest to the perceived
> source location.

so this is a simple "either/or" decision, not a continuum of possible phantom
source locations. or put differently: not summing localisation, but something
like a precendence effect. ok.

i could hypothesize that the initial phase of 2ms from one speaker only is
enough information to localize the source, and that the lagging signal is not
contributing any more cues. if so, that would not really contradict lee et al.

they go on to say

> With   single-speaker   stimuli,   localization
> improves   as   signal   duration   is   increased.

the single speaker case is not relevant to the discussion really (although it's
a nice touch to add this to the experiment). it just means that if get more
time to pinpoint a single source, localisation performance improves. very well.

but this could be read as implying "in two speaker stimuli, there was _no_
improvement of localisation as the signal duration is increased".
which seems to suggest that indeed, the localisation process is over and done
with during the initial 2ms of only a single speaker playing.

to test this, one would need to use a coherent signal in both speakers that
starts at the same time, but one is delayed relative to the other.
maybe by delaying a noise source and fading it in at the same time in both
speakers. otherwise, we're really only looking at onset transients.

 > Furthermore,
> evidence of elevation compression was found with a dependence on
> duration. With lead-lag pairs, localization dominance occurs in the
> median plane, and becomes more robust with increased signal duration.

this general statement would contradict my interpretation above. is this paper
available somewhere?

this one however leaves me scratching my head:

> These results suggest that accurate localization of a co-located
> lead-lag pair is necessary for localization dominance to occur when
> the lag is spatially separated from the lead.

i can't imagine what this means.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio) Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net

For all FOI requests please contact:   f...@derby.ac.uk
All other Contacts are at http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/