I remember in my earliest days in computer music, when I was at the
Electronic Music Studio in the Physics Department of University College,
Cardiff, having height effects on broadband sounds demonstrated to me by
Mike Greenhough of the audio research group (this was around 1970 so I
can't be completely certain what their research group's proper title used
to be). Anyway, he just moved a notch filter up and down from about 5 to
10kHz (iirc). Listening on headphones at least the perception of sources
moving up and down was very clear. Easy to try out, anyway.

     Dave

On 11 December 2015 at 13:10, Augustine Leudar <augustineleu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Bo,
> I googled "tinting" in relation to this but couldn't find any papers -
> could you point me in the direction of these demonstrations/links ? The
> thing is virtually all the HRTF info related to vertical localisation is
> above 4 khz. The device we made allowed you to move sounds up and down, and
> horizontally with a wii controller - it worked quite well but we did cheat
> a little by just making sounds more high pitched when they went upwards as
> well as convolving them with directional bands but this wouldn't work with
> all sounds.
>
> On 11 December 2015 at 12:54, Bo-Erik Sandholm <bosses...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I just want to say that when I read Joseph's mail I feel like christmas
> has
> > come early this year :-)
> >
> > I have been thinking about headtracked binaural listening for a couple of
> > years and discussing it here and in other forums.
> >
> > The goal is to make it possible to listen to ambisonics first order with
> > earphones with head tracking usen open source programs and procedures.
> >

> > I do not think we should wait until it is possible to create a individual
> > HRTF for a everey day nontechnical person.
> >
> > This is avaliable:
> >    Software and hardware to do it with software written by
> >   http://www.matthiaskronlachner.com/?p=2015 or the
> >  Ambiexplorer on the phone with the same effort to build the head tracker
> > bu also t adding a blutooth transmitterand and using another firmware.
> >

> > I have been thinking of taking another way to the goal.
> >
> > What I have been thinking of is a tinted head tracking binaural decoder
> (I
> > did not know the principle had a name)
> >
> > My take on the decoder is that it
> >     - below ~ 4kHz it should use standard HRTF decoding and have a few
> > profiles selectable on the width of the head,
> >       ignoring individual ear shape effects above 4kHz.
> >
> >    - tinting used to improve the height perception in binaural decoding,
> > tinting subsituting for HRTF above 4kHz for height.
> >       tinting has shown it is possible to add  height information to
> > Stereo, This has been demonstrated.
> >
> >     - I want the shoulder reflections to be taken in to account, I belive
> > the varying impact of a comb filter effect of the shoulder reflection is
> > VERY important.
> >              - the software should be controlled by parameters for head
> > tilt related to shoulders and head versus body turning
> >             - maybe also the normal distance from the ears to the
> > shoulders, but I do not think this is very important as we adjust to
> > clothes on shoulders very easily.
> >
> > I belive we should take inspiration from  UNIX principles when creating
> the
> > software, that is to use a chain of software that each does one thing
> well
> > and do not have to be rewritten all the time, A number of VST modules
> that
> [...]

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'