Hi Richard,

In terms of literature for general HOA decoding, the parts are all around, I
personally like the papers by Franz Zotter cause they present all the relevant
information in a clear and usable manner. The All-round Ambisonic Panning and
Decoding paper in JAES I think has most of the stuff you’ll need, and not only
for the specific method.

In terms of open code there are not so much stuff around. As the rest of the
people mentioned, one is Aaron Heller’s ambisonic toolkit, in Matlab, which is
very extensive!
https://bitbucket.org/ambidecodertoolbox/adt.git

I have also released a Matlab library in a more educational manner, not so much
for efficiency as for readability, you can find it if you want to have a look
in:
http://research.spa.aalto.fi/projects/ambi-lib/ambi.html
This implements some recent decoders too, including the ALLRAD method mentioned
before, and another interesting one called CSAD (constant-angular spread),
which has constant energy vector magnitude and zero angular error. You can also
check energy/velocity vector plots for any decoder that you choose to
implement. Could be a good starting point for making your own code.

Additionally, a powerful but more complicated is the decoder generator of
Davide Scaini, from University of Pompeau Fabra and Barcelona Media, which
converges on an optimal decoder by iterative numerical optimization on the
velocity/energy vectors, in Python. You can find the implementaiton in:
https://github.com/BarcelonaMedia-Audio/idhoa

Good luck with your project!
Archontis Politis