Thanx Marc for the pointer.

Having a quick look, it seems that tinting is what I call sound-feld shaping,
and also what Kronlachner has included in his ambisonic plugins as “directional
loudness”.
Essentially it describes the application of an arbitrary directional weighting
to the sound-field before decoding, so that for example certain angular regions
can be attenuated or modified compared to others. I have also used it for
acoustic analysis purposes, to analyze what’s happening (sources/reflections)
only on a certain angular region. The operations to do that arise naturally in
the SH theory.

Richard in his patent seems to be applying the HRTFs as spatial weighting to
the sound-field, in order to enhance various cues including elevation, a smart
idea! Note that this is different from a direct ambisonic to binaural
conversion, in which you take the HOA signals and you end up with two binaural
signals, here you take the HOA signals, you weight the sound-field with the
HRTFs, and you end up with 2 times the HOA signals, HRTF-weighted, one set for
each ear. These can then be used for an enhanced ambisonic to binaural
conversion.

I too fail to see though what this has to do with the OP headphones with the 4
drivers inside…

Regards,
Archontis