On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 12:14 AM, Trond Lossius <trond.loss...@bek.no>
wrote:

> > On 20 Apr 2016, at 21:16, Marc Lavallee <m...@hacklava.net> wrote:
> >
> > I wonder why using uncompressed PCM instead of compressed AAC...
>
> Is there a risk of compressed audio altering the phase between the
> channels, affecting the spatial image?

Marc and I looked at this informally when he was developing ambisonic.xyz.
  We took panned first-order B-format (e.g., AJH-eight-positions.amb),
though an encode/decode cycle with candidate codecs, and then looked at the
spatial spreading of energy with a simple parametric decoder.  No listening
tests, just visual comparison of plots of spatial energy.

We found very little spreading with low-complexity AAC, but a fair amount
with HE-AAC.

Aaron Heller (hel...@ai.sri.com)
Menlo Park, CA  US