Hi,

There has been some discussion before on B-format or HOA to binaural filters
(HRTF-based), which no matter if it goes through a virtual decoder or with a
direct HRTF-to-Bformat approach, two times the number of HOA channels of
filters are needed (so 8 for B-format, 18 for 2nd-order HOA, 32 for 3rd-order
HOA etc. ).

Playing around a bit I realized that if the HRTFs are made left-right
symmetric, which makes sense to always force for non-individialized ones (and
also for individualized sometimes), then a smaller set of filters is needed due
to this left-right symmetry. For example for B-format binaural filters, the W,
X and Z channel would have exactly the same filters, while the Y channel would
have the same filter with a polarity inversion for one ear with respect to the
other. Hence 4 filters instead of 8.

Thinking about it, it simply makes sense, as the spherical harmonics are
themselves either symmetric or antisymmetric with respect to the x-z (median)
plane. This is also what makes mirroring of a HOA sound scene from left to
right for example, as easy as inverting certain HOA channels.

My question to any of the decoder developers on the list is if you have seen
that anywhere analyzed or mentioned in the context of binaural decoding??

Many thanks,
Archontis Politis