As far as having a well-developed question, see
http://www.weizmann.ac.il/mcb/UriAlon/sites/mcb.UriAlon/files/uploads/medawar.pdf
  - "is the scientific paper a fraud?" - Medawar (along with thinkers like
Popper) argues that the having of an idea, or the formulation of a hypothesis
isn't itself actually scientific - inspiration is one thing, then
scientifically testing it is another. But there is an inexorable pressure on us
to pretend we knew what we were doing all along - and began with a
well-conditioned problem ("research question") which we deductively tested to
destruction.
But a lot of the time, the original question was something like "what happens
if I poke this?"
Einstein (supposedly) said "...if we knew what it was we were doing, we
wouldn't call it research"

Dr. Peter Lennox SFHEA
Senior Lecturer in Perception
College of Arts, Humanities and Education
School of Arts

e: p.len...@derby.ac.uk
t: 01332 593155

https://derby.academia.edu/peterlennox