At 20:06 17-08-17, Phi Shu wrote:

>Just curious, why do you want to do a PhD at all? are you planning on being
>an academic?

It is a relatively recent requirement of academics that they hold a PhD before being allowed into the profession. In my own case, I elected to do a PhD in order to be able to answer the questions I had about the subject material in a disciplined and rigorous manner. I realised from the start that, were I not to have employed the framework of a PhD, I should never have achieved anything. That said, the structure of my work and the thesis owed little to any previous models. Acquiring a PhD in a slightly different field from that in which I was engaged as an academic had absolutely no effect on my career development.

It never ceases to amaze me how many PhD candidates have NO idea what they want to research before they register for the degree. Given that the thesis is at the heart of it all (and in my case was the only requirement for award of the degree), this is amazing. These are the candidates who want a PhD solely because they want to enter the academy and, since they often seem to have no independent ideas in their heads, I wonder whether they should be allowed in.

David