Hi,
Yes for horizontal localisation you may get away with ILDs and ITDs - but
for height information the individual shape of the pinna is key and the
system of migrating frequency peaks and notches caused by the direction
dependant filterning caused by pinna shape . By filtering I mean the
frequency peaks and notches which change in accordance with height, a
filtering system that each individual brain has learnt, definitely work
better with individuslised HRTFs.... Interpoliation between HRTF data sets
is one option but there are others......

Dr. Augustine Leudar
Artistic Director Magik Door LTD
Company Number : NI635217
Registered 63 Ballycoan rd,