Hi all,

Just thought I'd chime in as the author of the mentioned toolkit
<https://www.princeton.edu/3D3A/SABREToolkit.html> - I'm happy to answer
any questions anyone might have and to try to help you get it up and
running if needed.

Regarding the spherical harmonic HRTF (SH-HRTF) approach described by
Archontis, we've implemented this as the default in the toolkit. If you
don't specify a desired virtual "speaker" grid, then the entire HRTF
measurement set is used, and a "compact" decoder is created. This process
is exactly what Archontis described: the decoder matrix becomes the
identity matrix, and each ambisonic signal is filtered by corresponding the
spherical-harmonic term of the HRTF (see Sec. 3.3 of the manual
<https://github.com/PrincetonUniversity/3D3A-SABRE-Toolkit/blob/master/doc/SABRE_Manual.pdf>).
Hopefully, the toolkit should streamline and simplify this process for the
ambiX plug-in.

In my experience, however, the SH-HRTF approach can sometimes yield a
"blurry" 3D image (for example, compared to an only slightly oversampled
virtual speaker grid - e.g., 36 speakers for 4th order decoding). I haven't
fully sorted out why this happens yet, so I'd be interested to hear
anyone's thoughts on it; my guess is that this has to do with the time
alignment of the measured HRIRs. (Since the SH-HRIRs are linear
combinations of the measured HRIRs, improper time alignment of the
measurements will just spread out the resulting IR.)

Also, HRTF sets with only partial coverage of the sphere might not give
very good SH-HRTFs (depending on the order, of course) due to the poor
conditioning in the SH matrix. In those cases, it might actually be better
to use a subset of the measured HRIRs for most of the sphere, and then
interpolate a few extra directions (e.g., below the listener) where no
measurements exist. Then localization in at least the measured directions
should be good.

Anyways, those are just my two cents, and it's why I kept the toolkit
flexible since I felt like these issues might be worth exploring. I'd be
curious to hear anyone else's thoughts on them.

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Gernot,

--
Joseph G. Tylka
Doctoral Candidate in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering