Actually, directly on axis of one of the capsules may be the worst
direction for a tetrahedral array.  While it's true that otherwise you are
slightly off-axis for a given capsule, with whatever coloration that might
cause, I believe the non-coincidence problems of the complete array
overwhelm this effect.  When pointing directly at one capsule, the distance
to each of the other three is the same, thus the peaks and notches caused
by phase differences all line up at the same frequency and become one
bigger peak or notch.  When a source comes in between two capsules, the
distances in the array don't match so the peaks and notches spread out in
frequency and help to smooth each other out a bit.  Of course, the
calibration filters for tetrahedral mics attempt to correct for this
effect, but those filters more closely match the diffuse field average of
all directions than the more extreme results in the direction of one
capsule.

David McGriffy
VVAudio