On 15/09/2018 16:12, hacklava wrote:
On Sat, 15 Sep 2018 14:52:03 +0100
Chris Woolf <ch...@chriswoolf.co.uk> wrote:

How open these sort of products can be in terms of internal architecture
and calibration is another (commercial) problem. At least some secrecy
is essential to their business model, to avoid making reverse
engineering too easy... and therefore losing the mass market that their
product has to be based on.
I read your "it's the economy, stupid" argument. Now there's a market.
Hallelujah. Consumers of the world, praise secrecy.
Put it this way; I understand how the audio market works, having been a designer for bits of it over the decades. Personally I love the artisan aspect, but I have to accept that patents and keeping some things hidden has been what has paid my for my bread crusts over the years.
My point is that all the hardware is available to build an Ambisonics
microphone,
But selling you 4 matched capsules as an individual, and selling them as part of a finished ambisonics recorder, is a very different commercial matter.
... There's probably more plastic than anything else in this microphone.
Oh, don't dismiss plastic! It can be a far better material than metal, used in the right place. Nor is it cheap to design and tool - it is just cheap as a part, when you make 100,000. I have countless arguments about the use of foam i n windshields, which people assume must be cheap because they see something like it in packaging. They never realise how hard it is to engineer on a 3-axis high speed CNC.

Like sound, reality have directional components; we're in 2018, not in 1980,
and there's alternatives.
There are....

Chris Woolf

---