Hi David,

These upmixing methods extract a lot of information from the FOA recording that
is then re-used to essentially “synthesize" the HOA signals, with a spatial
resolution that would not be possible with the FOA recordings. They are
“active” in that sense, and signal-dependent, compared to the “passive"
classical ambisonic decoding. Their success depends of course on how effective
is their underlying model and how robustly they are implemented.

In that sense there isn’t necessarily a large benefit in parametric upmixing
from FOA to 3rd-order, compared to parametric decoding for playback, since
these methods can also upmix directly from FOA to, say, 40 speakers or
headphones, with their maximum sharpness. However, the HOA upmixing could be
useful for people that are working with a HOA processing pipeline, and they
want to integrate FOA or lower-order material seamlessly.

Regards,
Archontis Politis