Thank you Greg. It's good to have some knowledge, just in case.

Homeland Security has a website - ready.gov - with practical suggestions
about storing water and food, and how to shelter for a while. But no
science.

A co n spiracy-theorist friends believes the whole thing is a ploy to
create a "crisis" providing an excuse for military rule. We're a relatively
young country, and we each takes what stands we can to protect what's left
of democracy.

I spend time daily with my gratitude list.

On Aug 9, 2017 12:18 PM, "Greg Nelson" <terraman...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm actually in the radiation measurement business, so I suppose I ought
> to reply.  However, this is my perspective as an individual and not
> representative of my employer.  Also, this is kind of dire so if that is
> not what you want to read today, consider yourself forewarned.
>
> First and foremost let's hope it doesn't go there.  But based on your "if
> something dire actually happens" premise, I think the following
> considerations are relevant.
>
> 1. All indications are that the North Koreans do not (yet) have weapons
> that can survive re-entry or reach the continental US.  This reduces the
> likelihood that a nuclear device will be detonated within the US.  (It does
> nothing to alleviate the pain and suffering of any who live where a device
> is detonated, and I'm not trying to minimize that, but health and safety
> tips for that population are outside my expertise.  It also does not
> eliminate the possibility of a high-atmospheric detonation - see 5 below.)
> 2. Assuming devices (theirs or ours) are detonated in Asia, there will
> definitely be atmospheric fallout.  Depending on the scale of the bombing,
> this might be significantly worse that what was seen during WWII, or it
> might be similar.  However, the levels of radiation reaching the US would
> in any realistic scenario I can think of be not an immediate threat to life
> and health.
> 3. There are two families isotopes of significant impact: iodine and
> cesium.
>    A. For iodine, the largest risk to health will be in the first ~30 days
> due to the very short half life.  Iodine accumulates in the thyroid, and
> one of the common forms of protection is the consumption of potassium
> iodide (KI) tablets (nutritionally similar to salt substitute and possibly
> better for you) to ensure that non-radioactive iodine dominates in the
> bloodstream and the bulk of any radioactive iodine consumed is excreted
> again.  Since KI tablets have a nearly infinite shelf life (as long as
> they're kept dry) there isn't any good reason not to stock up on these.
> (Although as of today, you might very well find the sellers are suddenly
> hiking their prices.)
>   B. For cesium (Cs137) the issue is that it has an extremely long
> half-life, and will be bioaccumulated (it is chemically interchangeable
> with sodium) and do damage over a long period.  In this case, the best
> recommendation I know of is eating as low as you can on the food chain, and
> local.  (Hah, see how this relates to Sustainable Tompkins!?)  The former
> means that you're not eating things that ate things that ate things with
> more and more Cs137 being concentrated all the way up the food chain.  The
> latter means you're getting food from a part of the world that is
> relatively far away from where we've assumed the detonation has occurred.
> I'm not certain whether consuming additional salt (NaCl) or potassium
> [...]

For more information about sustainability in the Tompkins County area, please
visit:  http://www.sustainabletompkins.org/
If you have questions about this list please contact the list manager, Tom
Shelley, at t...@cornell.edu.