----- Original Message -----
From: "Harmon Seaver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[snip]
 [Would you say safety would allow loud pipes on bikes?]

>    Definitely not, in fact I think we should have open season, shoot on
>sight on  loud bikes. Same with loud car stereos and boomboxes.
>    Or at least an instant $200 ticket -- if you can hear the vehicle or
>stereo from 10' away, nail 'em.

Harmon you will be happy to hear that the Queensland (OZ)  govt has just
recently brought in penalties for loud music from cars. Penalties range up
to impoundment of vehicle for repeat offenses. Should save a few eardrums
and reduce metal fatigue in offenders cars.

As for motorbikes my philosophy on staying safe was to be always moving
ahead of other traffic. That way you have more control over traffic
conditions and less threat from behind. Car users and motorbikes just don't
mix. Lack of consideration for the totally different safety dynamics,
failure to recognise anything smaller than a Mack truck, minor road rage
generated by the car user's perception of bike riders as alternatives/free
spirits who threaten their own sense of values, jealousy of the freedom of
movement etc are just some of the problems. (Just as well I didn't try to
elaborate, that has to be the longest sentence I have ever written).

Ah yes, at times I miss my Yamaha XZ550, a strange bike in ways but the note
that liquid cooled in line V twin made when the throttle was opened at low
revs was music to my ears. Not quite as raucous as the low tech growl of the
Harley but nice.
What the heck I was a lousy bike rider and probably saved my life by selling
it.

Paul Gobert

---

Please do NOT send &quot;unsubscribe&quot; messages to the list address.