"Andrew Graham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Vegetable oil yields (approx.)
>: Biodiesel yield = oil yield x 0.8 approx.
>: Crop - kg/ha - litre/ha - lb/acre - USgal/acre
>:
>: soybean - 375 - 446 - 335 - 48
>: rapeseed - 1000 - 1190 - 893 - 127
>:
>

>So, if I read this right, you can grow 1000kg of rapeseed on 1 ha of
>land and then you can get 1190 litres from this 1000kg of rape seed??
>I know that rape oil weighs less than 1kg per litre but when you add
>in the rape meal left over it doesn't seem to all add up!

Hi Andrew

No, you're reading it wrong - it's 1000 kg of oil, not of seed: 1000
kg of oil, 1190 litres of oil. It's not totally accurate, I've used a
benchmark figure for the weights of oils, though they don't all weigh
the same. But these are just approximations and can't be anything
else, when you consider how greatly crop yields can vary. They're
most useful as comparative figures between crops. Did you figure
you'd only get 145 kg of corn from a hectare? :-)

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects