>i have no doubt that rat would make a good nutritional supplement, i
>suppose it would have to be renamed, like marmot.

Rat Marmite? (Or is that an English joke? - you guys in the colonies
ever heard of Marmite?) (Did I just hear 23 Australians say
"Vegemite"?)

Anyway, I'm not so sure. They're omnivores, their diet's a bit too
all-inclusive. The omnivores and carnivores people eat are usually
raised on non-meat diets (eg Cantonese dogs, and the Thai rats are
veggies).

That aside, you're right, and not just a supplement. Farley Mowatt
discovered in northern Canada that the wolves he was studying, far
from wiping out the caribou herds as alleged, had a summer diet of
grass rats, or something like rats. To prove it was possible he went
on the same diet himself, catching his share of rats every day and
eating them. He couldn't take the idea of eating the bones and skins
though, as the wolves did (they just gobbled them down whole), but he
stayed well-fed and healthy just the same.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo