in answer to :

Message: 4
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:12:49 -0000
From: "Tek Spence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: here & there -  Digest 254

>there may be a terminology difference where you are from where I am.
>What is your location? I have called 2 fuel oil dealers now and both
>say that k1 is d1, and they sell it interchangeably. d1 is never
>meant to run in an engine, it is for heating only, or used as an anti
>gel additive to d2. Why do you infer that anyone is advocating
>running an engine on d1, or k1?

diesel #1 and #2 are covered by astm d-975. they are both diesel fuels.

kerosene is not a diesel engine fuel, although it can be mixed with diesel
fuel in cold environments.

kerosene comes in all sorts of grades, amongst which there are nine
'aviation' grades. the reason i mentioned jp1 is because it is probably the
'best' commercially available kero.

suggest you ask the oil dealers you consulted with what astm spec covers
their 'k1 is d1' fuel. that information is available through the safety
sheet that accompanies each shipment.

my location does not have #1 or #2 diesel fuel. it just has 'diesel fuel',
like most parts of the world. the d1 and d2 grading is an astm spec, as per
the above. astm is an american institution.

dick carlstein