Hi Andrew
    The TP filters are good but I think you are on the wrong track to use
one in place of a sock filter.
Have a look at multi screen filters or micro channel filters (the one I plan
to use) for a primary filter, both these filters are easy to take apart and
there is no cost for elements. they can take the filtration down to about 10
micron and then you can use a sub micron filter (such as a TP) for the
secondary.
The big problem with the TP is they have very little volume to hold any junk
away from the filter face.

I don't know anything much about centrifugal separation but I think this
would be the best for a primary filter as there is no cleaning at all. One
of the food processor/ Juice extractors I owned had a grinding bowl with
screen walls on about a 45degree angle, the pulp used to climb up the screen
then over the top of the bowl into a seperate bin while the juice went
through the screen into an inner bowl. Have looked for something similar for
my own filter but looks like I'll have to build it.
Some Scania trucks use a centrifugal oil filter that does not take any
elements. but these have to be taken apart for cleaning - they don't require
any power just work off the velocity of the oil but I don't know if they are
available from wreckers or if they would be suitable (I can guess what they
would cost from Scania)

There is an alternative to Franz in Australia
The 4M filter body is manufactured by
Mil-Mac (WA) Pty Ltd
55 Reisley St
Ardross