>Hi there,
>As a neophyte to this topic, I am initially interested in the
>feasibility of converting biodegradable wood waste into a
>combustible energy producing alcohol (ethanol?).
>I own a substantial acreage, so supply is not a concern.
>Initially I would like to start a small trial project, eventually
>building towards fueling 4 stroke engines.
> I have a science background, and understand most basic chemical
>concepts. I had heard of a 'distilling' process a long while ago
>while in University.
>Please help me with my first steps on this journey!
>
>Thanks,
>
>Frank Ponto
>Home office: 2304 3rd St. S., Cranbrook, V1C -4X5
>ph. (250) 489-6261
>Appropriate Forestry Services Ltd. / Lost Dog Forestry Ltd. / Ponto
>Educational Services

Hi Frank

Try these:

Fuel From Sawdust -- by Mike Brown (from Acres, USA, 19 June 1983):
Conversion of cellulose, such as sawdust, cornstalks, newspaper and
other substances, to alcohol -- "a fairly uncomplicated and
straightforward process".
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_sawdust.html

Ethanol from cellulose

"Wood-Ethanol Report: Technology Review", Environment Canada 1999 --
good overview of the problem and the current solutions on offer.
http://www.pyr.ec.gc.ca/ep/wet/section16.html

Arkenol Inc. is a pioneer in processing cellulose biomas into
ethanol: agricultural wastes, straw, leaves, grass clippings, sawdust
or old newspapers. The company uses proprietary concentrated acid
hydrolysis technology and is in the final development stages for a 48
million litre per year biorefinery in Sacramento, California
processing rice straw.
http://www.arkenol.com

The Iogen Corporation of Canada is "the leader in developing and
manufacturing ethanol-from-cellulose". The Iogen process is an
enzymatic hydrolysis process for converting lignocellulosics to
ethanol -- uses steam explosion pretreatment pioneered by the company
and Iogen's proprietary enzymes.
http://www.iogen.ca/fuels.htm

BC International Corporation uses a genetically modified organism to
produce ethanol from biomass wastes such as agricultural residues,
municipal waste, and forest thinnings. Two-stage dilute acid
hydrolysis process for the preparation of the sugar streams and two
separate fermentations although both use the same organism.
http://www.bcintlcorp.com/

"Ethanol Production in Hawaii", a "pre-feasibility" study who a focus
on ethanol from cellulose. Includes comparison of the different
processes: simultaneous saccharification and fermentation;
concentrated acid hydrolysis, neutralization and fermentation;
ammonia disruption, hydrolysis and fermentation; steam disruption,
hydrolysis and fermentation; acid disruption and transgenic
microorganism fermentation; concentrated acid hydrolysis, acid
recycle and fermentation; and acidified acetone extraction,
hydrolysis and fermentation.
http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/ert/ethanol/ethano94.html
Good list of references:
http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/ert/ethanol/refs.html