Hanns Wetzel in PNG wrote:

"Does anyone know what proportions of ethanol and potassium hydroxide
per
volume of palm oil have to be used to produce biodiesel from palm oil,
or
does anyone know of a site on the web where this process is described
like
on the URL mentioned above.

I am looking for info on how this could be done in Papua New Guinea, a
large
scale producer of palm oil."

I'm ttying to work out more or less the same thing here in the
Philippines, only for coconut oil. The procedure is simple in principle
but rather laborious in practice.

You start with the composition of the oil: what triglycerides are
present and in what proportions. That allows you to calculate the weight
of glycerol per unit weight of oil. Glycerin is a trihydroxy alcohol and
ethanol and methanol are both monohydroxy alcohols, so each molecule of
glycerin has to be replaced in the transesterified product with three
molecules of either ethanol or methanol. That, and the respective
molecular weights of glycerol and the alcohol you're using for biodiesel
will give you the stoichiometric amount of (m)ethanol required. That is
not the final answer, but it is a starting point for experimentation on
small batches on the benchtop. You can work out the exact proportions at
small scale, with purchased anhydrous alcohol, while working out a way
to get larger amounts cheap. Somewhere in my files is something on that
topic, too, if I can just find it...

Somewhere in the rat's next that passes for my file system I should have
something on palm oil and palm kernel oil compositions, which I ran into
while researching coconut oil. Naturally I can't put my hand on it now,
but I suspect you already have that info, living in a major producing
area.

My scheme-in-progress still centers on methanol, which I hope to produce
locally by destructive distallation of agricultural waste. One tiny
problem is I can't find any info anywhere on how much of the stuff I
might expect from the materials available here. Before petro-methanol
became too cheap to compete with, methanol sold in the West was produced
by distilling hardwood chips in a closed retort, so there's plenty of
info on yields from temperate zone hardwoods. Too bad we don't see those
in our outposts of civilization. I don't think I'm up to building a
retort, plus all the apparatus for separating tars and purifying the
methanol, just to get numbers...

Marc de Piolenc
Iligan, Lanao del Norte (Mindanao)
Philippines