Hi Ricardo, Ken, Marc and all

>As far as I know, sodium chloride cristals are naturaly anhidrous. It seems
>to me that this will not work.

Sodium chloride is very hygroscopic (absorbs water). I'm interested
to know how much water it will absorb before it becomes saturated.
Mathewson provides some information on using salt in "The Manual for
the Home and Farm Production of Alcohol Fuel" (chapter 12).
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_manual/manual_ToC.html

"A second method takes advantage of the fact that water will dissolve
in most salts, but ethanol will not. Therefore, water can be removed
(although not entirely) by filtering the alcohol/water through dry
salt. Almost any 'hygroscopic' (water absorbing) material such as
calcium salt, various sulphates, phosphates and similar materials
will work. However, common rocksalt, such as used in water softeners
is cheap and available. An apparatus such as described in Chapter 7
for sprouting malt can be used. Fill the drum or container with
rocksalt. The alcohol/water is poured in at the top and filters down
through the salt. Relatively water-free alcohol is collected through
holes or a valve at the bottom of the container. Remember that the
salt must be dry. After absorbing water from a certain amount of
alcohol, the salt must be re-dried either in an oven or by spreading
it out in the sun."

This appeals because salt is cheap, ubiquitous and easily dried. But
the point about how much alcohol will stick to the crystals is an
interesting one.

Mathewson first describes the industry method of mixing benzene with
the ethanol to render it miscible with gasolene. Benzene's nasty
stuff indeed, but it seems that some gasolene in the ethanol won't
disturb the transesterification process, so no doubt some benzene
wouldn't disturb it either. Benzene's probably easy to get and cheap
- or at least it used to be (like quicklime!!). Mathewson says: "A
good system might be to use both of the methods described above.
First, most of the water in the alcohol is removed by the salt
method, and then the blend is prepared with benzene. The more water
that can be removed from the alcohol, the less benzene will be
needed. Benzene will have to be purchased (the cheapest technical
grade is fine) and can be used only once. The rocksalt can be dried
and used many times."

>FYI I tried to dehydrate 95% ethanol with Copper Sulphate, that has 5 mols
>H2O, previously dehydrated by calcination.  It didn«t work. You need a lot
>of anhydrous salt and you loose a lot of alcohol sticked to the crystals.
>Later I thought to use anhydrous calcium chloride, but now there are several
>ideas discussed in this forum, that I think will work better.

Are copper sulphate and calcium chloride more absorbent than sodium
chloride? Which is the most absorbent salt?

Marc's ref on glycerine is most interesting, though it brings us back
to the original question of purifying the glyc. However, maybe simply
boiling off the water content would work? Much easier than distilling
the glycerine.

The other method is using corn grits:
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_grits.html

But this, as with 3A zeolyte etc, means treating the vapour, not the
liquid ethanol: ie, an add-on to the distillation process.

>Ref. the translation, Marc will do it much better !!

I get the feeling Marc isn't mad about the idea, and who can blame
him - or you, Ricardo! :-( Ah well, I guess it's a good thing for
this to happen to us hegemonistic Anglophiles occasionally (often?),
puts things in perspective, eh?

>Ricardo.

:-) Good luck, look forward to the results.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects