Hi Mark,
              If you dont relate to the land you dont relate to nature and
your missing one hell of a lot. Eighty percent of people now live in cities
and think this is all there is to life. My father was a farmer who really
loved the land, and wanted all his children to grow up to be farmers.
Unfortunately this didnt turn out to be so but in most of us he instilled
his own love of the land and nature. When I look back over my life so far I
am glad  I have had the type of life I have had and learnt an appreciation
and understanding that so many people who grow up in cities have never had
or will have. I always remember going up to Everest Base Camp years ago and
being absolutely amazed that people that I travelled with could not see what
I could see or appreciate or understand what I apprerciated and understood.
It was as as if they were walking around blind or watching TV so they could
go home and say: been there done that. Kind of sad in a way. The sherpas
were lovely people and I am glad we New Zealanders have had a big input with
health and education schemes from which both sides have benefited.
Will dig out some more information for you over the next week or so on
Jeruasalem artichokes if I get a chance. How long are you in the Phillipines
for? If you are going to be there for awhile it may pay to get some seed
from the World Seed Bank and do a few growing trials. That way you will get
a bit of knowledge and quickly sort out which varieties are likely to be
most successful in specific or a variety of locations.
B.r.,  David