Hello Jay

>Hi Folks,
>I am new on the list.

Welcome!

>I am most interested in alcohol production since I don't
>have a diesel engine. As a daily driver I have a 30 year old economy car, a
>Rambler. I rebuilt the motor so the thing runs great and it is so simple with
>power nothing. I have also considered converting it to LP too but that is on a
>side burner.
>I am on an AMC list, and on another and in both places they are
>crying about the
>price of gas.
>I just had to ask them who's fault it was Americans drove gas hogs and
>consistently refused to develop alternative energy sources. Whose fault is it
>that we live so far from work in oversized homes? The increase in
>gas prices is
>a GOOD thing!

Hey-hey! A rare voice indeed! Good for you, keep it up.

>Far out! The price of gas so far does not reflect the true cost.
>And I think I got a 25% positive response, with more minds thinking about it.
>I am still stumped on the whole economy thing. Do we really have to sell cars
>and stuff that breaks so we can go to work to pay for cars and the stuff that
>broke, or do we really just want to maintain a place for people to
>go during the
>daytime?
>We have enough food, soap, hot water, good books, and productive hobbies for
>everyone, so what's up?
>OK, so sometimes I forget what planet I am on.

I'm on Planet Japan! Anyway, we both belong on this planet, but I'm
not so sure about the people who tell us all this stuff. You have to
ask, Who benefits, and at whose expense? The answers are usually the
opposite of what we get told all the time. And fairly clear-cut.

I think we could add "consumption modesty" to "energy modesty". Do we
really need more than just basic needs (which about 1.2 billion
people don't have)? Or just want more? At whose expense? Quite a few
billion people reckon it's at their expense. And who's telling us to
"want"? And why? Could also be very much at our expense.

Well, you're not alone. Rather rapid growth in the Voluntary
Simplicity movement, along with homesteading and more, same sort of
thinking even if it might come from a different direction.

>Thanks for all the great posts and keep up the good work!

And you. All best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects