Message: 1
Thanks for the continuing input to the container load/unload solution.
It's really amazing how many ingenious ideas there are out there.

For obvious reasons I favor solutions that don't require improvements at
each drop site - there could be very many of those in a country where
the longest distance that a coconut usually travels to market is a few
miles!

Lowboy trailers won't last long on Filipino roads, so they're out. But I
am intrigued by one listmember's mentioning trucks or trailers with
integral side-loading hydraulic lifts and support pads. I went back to
my calcs that seemed to show that such things would be impractically
heavy...and of course found an error. It turns out that, with outriggers
extending eight feet to one side, such a truck could handle a 20 tonne
container while weighing no more than four to eight tonnes itself,
depending on weight distribution. With two axles on the semi-trailer and
two support axles on the tractor, that is completely practical. OOF.

>          What David T is saying here makes a lot of
> sense and is probably
> the most appropriate to the Phillipines. If you make
> a couple of H frames
> complete with outrigger tripod stays, use a couple
> of connectors to join the
> 2 H frames together, and a couple of chain blocks,
> you can drive to where
> you want the container located, set up your H
> frames, lift the container
> about 6", drive the truck out, and lower the
> container. Uplifting and
> shifting the container is obviously the reverse.

That makes a LOT of sense. I would only add baulks of timber to keep the
frames from sinking into the soil, and some screw anchors and guys to
keep the thing from racking. My father-in-law and I were sketching
something with A-frames which ended up pretty unwieldly, then I tried
something with jacks at all four lower corners, but there was just too
much travel required. Your scheme should work.

Yesss.

Of course, we'll probably still end up with semi-trailers because cargo
containers are precious here, but you never know. In any case, one of
these tricks will no doubt serve when I need to lift my own container to
build up the pad a bit, as each rainy season sees the airspace under the
container getting smaller...

Best to all,
Marc