"John Li" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"I tried using the mixture of refined coconut oil (FFA removed) 20 parts
to one part
kerosene, just like what the Thai teacher did.  The result was very
impressive:
smokeless and almost odorless.  The smell is just like heating oil in
the pan.  There is
no drop in the power.  Then I referred my testing to the government
agency.  They told me
that this is vey dangerous because it will emit acrolyn, which is a
cancerous substance.
They said that the correct process should be that the coconut oil
undergo
transesterification to produce methyl ester, which is safe.  Any
comments about this?"

My comment is the obvious one - the substance they probably mean is
acrolein (acrylic aldehyde), presumably from glycerine. If your engine
is in good tune and at full temperature, I see no reason to expect
significant aldehyde emissions. One of the beauties of diesels is that
they operate at high excess air ratios, something gasoline (petrol)
engines can't do. Glycerine and everything else should burn to carbon
dioxide and water, with a small amount of nitrogen oxides emissions from
crevice combustion. In short, normal diesel emissions.

Finally, if your car were producing significant levels of acrolein in
the exhaust, the stink would be overpowering, yet you describe it as
"almost odorless."

I wouldn't put too much credence in this "warning." It appears to be
motivated by the fact that you're burning a mixture of veggie oil and
kero, neither of which pays road fuel taxes in most countries. When a
way is found to tax this blend as a motor fuel, the bureaucrats will no
doubt discover that it's just fine after all.

Best,
Marc de Piolenc
Iligan, Philippines

PS. What are you paying for coconut oil? For kero?