http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm?newsid=10940
Planet Ark
London council first buyer of fuel cell vehicle

UK: May 24, 2001

LONDON - The first zero-emissions fuel cell vehicle to be sold
commercially was snapped up yesterday by London's Westminster City
Council.

The van, which will be used in the upkeep of London's parks, was sold
to the council by UK-based makers ZeVco for 33,000 pounds ($47,000).

"The cost of making this vehicle ran into hundreds of thousands of
pounds, but it is like a prototype. It's to show people what fuel
cell technology can do, and hopefully attract investment," ZeVco
General Manager Alan Osborne told Reuters.

Fuel cell vehicles run on an electrochemical combination of hydrogen
and oxygen which produces electricity and water. The fuel cell acts
as an on board charger to power the vehicle with water its only
emission.

The ZeVco vehicle has a top speed of 100 kilometres an hour (62 mph)
can accelerate from 0 to 50 km/h in 15 seconds and is 50 percent
cheaper to run than a conventional combustion engine-powered vehicle.

The vehicle looks no different from an ordinary van but it is extremely quiet.

"If we made another one now the cost would halve, and you can imagine
that if we made a lot the cost would reduce massively," Osborne said.

The difficulty of installing a hydrogen refueling network similar to
a petrol station network across Britain means that for the
foreseeable future fuel cell vehicle producers will target fleet
operators as a potential market, Osborne said.

"The best market for us is duty vehicles, fleet operators in urban
environments such as delivery vans, buses and taxis - people who can
bring a fleet back to a central depot and refuel there," he added.

Executive Chairman of ZeVco's UK-based parent company ZeTek Nicholas
Abson said: "We have been approached by the one of the big three
courier companies with a view to producing a vehicle fleet for them."

No details of the negotiations were as yet available, he added.

REUTERS NEWS SERVICE