From: F. Marc de Piolenc [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 7:35 AM
To: Biofuel List
Subject: [biofuel] Canola warning

Kirk wrote:

"Beware of Canola Oil, Canola Oil is an Industrial Oil, Not Fit For
Human
Consumption.

Here is a summary of a few facts regarding Canola Oil:
It is genetically engineered rapeseed."

Wrong, as pointed out by another listmember.

"Canada paid the FDA the sum of $50 million to have rape registered"

Unlikely, as no prior approval would have been required from the FDA, so
why pay them anything?

"Rapeseed is a lubricating oil used by small industry. It has never been
meant for human consumption."

The following is from Purseglove: Tropical Crops (1968)

Quote:

Brassica napus L. (2n+38) RAPE

Rape was in ancient cultivation in the Mediterranean region. It is grown
in Europe as green fodder for livestock and for its seeds from which
rape or colza oil is extracted, for which purpose it is also grown in
Japan. The residual rape-seed cake is fed to livestock. Rape oil is
edible; it is used for greasing loaves of bread before baking. It is
also used as an illuminant and lubricant and for soap manufacture. Rape
is not much grown in the tropics...
End Quote.

This information is somewhat out of date, as "huile de colza" is now a
popular salad oil in France, and I would guess elsewhere in the Common
Market.

Marc de Piolenc
Iligan
Philippines