http://ens.lycos.com/ens/may2001/2001L-05-25-09.html

3M Corp. Donates $200,000 For Clean School Buses

HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania, May 25, 2001 (ENS) - 3M Corp. has donated
$200,000 to Pennsylvania's Clean Air Fund for a pilot project to
retrofit school buses to reduce air pollution.

"3M's donation to Pennsylvania's Clean Air Fund for this project is
part of our commitment to the environment," said Dr. Katherine Reed,
3M staff vice president for environmental technology and safety
services. "This gift complements 3M's efforts to reduce air emissions
at our operations throughout the world. Since 1990, 3M has applied
its innovation and technology to reduce its volatile organic air
emissions by almost 90 percent. Some of these reductions have
generated emission credits that provide the funding for this grant."

It is 3M's position that it will not profit from the emission credits
generated by its emission reduction programs. Instead, the company
has provided grants for a variety of environmentally beneficial
projects, Reed said.

Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Secretary David Hess
applauded 3M Corp. for its donation.

"This project will equip school buses currently in use with diesel
retrofit technology," Hess said. "This technology will reduce the
amount of air pollution buses produce, helping to clean up the air
for their precious riders - our children."

"Now, it's time for school districts to do their part. Until June 29,
we are accepting applications from school districts who want to be
part of this ground breaking program," Hess added.

DEP is seeking one or two school bus fleets interested in the
demonstration project. Public, private and contractor operated fleets
of any size are eligible to apply. Retrofit technology could include
particulate traps and catalytic converters. Fuel changes, such as
using low sulfur fuel, also could be considered a retrofit.

The selection will be made based on severity of the pollution in the
area, appropriateness of the fleet for retrofit, and the potential
emission reductions. Applications are due by June 29.