----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Today I compared the viscosity of two samples of BD with three oils
> that I have used as damping fluid in the forks of my race-bike. To
> empty a 5ml pippet took:
> BD1---------8sec
> BD2---------9secs
> 2.5wt oil---17sec
> 5wt oil ----34sec

Nice simple test. Harry was it a graduated pipette or a bulb pipette? If the
latter what grade?

At the school where I work we have tried various setups for the students to
get an idea of viscosity.
Pouring oil into thistle funnels with capillary tubes attached to the base
worked but was extremely messy.
(a lot of muck for you know who to clean up). Oil and marbles sealed in
testtubes seemed to work, but there was some variation in diameters of
testtubes and marbles amongst the sets. Latest concoction that I have
devised is 100ml plastic bottle, short length of capillary tube silasticed
into base, rubber tubing onto capillary, glass drain tube fitted to other
end of rubber tubing. A laboratory clamp is tightened over the rubber tube
and a measured volume of oil is added to the plastic bottle. In use the cap
is removed from the bottle, the setup is supported by a retort stand, a
beaker is positioned under the drain tube and the clamp released. the
student times how long the oil takes to flow into the beaker. Oil is then
returned to bottle. Student then repeats expt with another aparatus
containing oil of different viscosity.  We have struck problems when
introducing temperature into the experiment because of the difficulty in
obtaining monograde oils. When I get the Pug on the road it will need a
supply of 30 grade gearbox oil so that will come in handy for this expt.

Regards     Paul