I spent a large portion of my day today clearing French Mulberry trees
from my mother's land.

As I was cutting and disposing of them and cursing the <epithet> who
introduced this species to Florida the thought came to mind about using
these cursed things for something productive.

The trees themselves grow obscenely fast, and a summer's growth will
produce a trunk the size of a man's leg and twenty feet tall.  They
spread by the roots, and if allowed to they will quickly take over an
area.  They will grow back out of cut stumps.  Cut pieces will take root
and grow.  They grow faster than any of our native species, and will
outcompete them and displace them fairly quickly.

Among mulberries, cat tails, and kudzu they're the plants that ate
Florida!

They grow without need of fertilizer.  They provide their own pesticide
in the form of a species of tiny black ants which seem to be symbiotic
with them.

While the wood is very soft, brittle, and breaks easily, the bark
contains long, straight, and very strong fibers.  These fibers are
strong enough that if you break a stick the bark will usually just split
lengthwise and let the broken ends of the stick poke through.  It is
then possible to pull the wood right out of the bark leaving the bark
almost completely intact.  Might these fibers be useful in textiles or paper?

The only use I can think of for the wood is biomass fuel, because it is
too soft and brittle for anything else.  The wood is so soft they can be
cut down easily with just loppers, and several of the trees I cut today
were nearly 3 inches in diameter, the limit of what my loppers would
cut.

The worst thing about them is the even though they're called "mulberry"
trees they don't produce any edible fruit that I am aware of.

Alan
--
Aviation is more than a hobby.  It is more than a job.  It is more than
a career.  Aviation is a way of life.