tyson rearden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> for all of you wanting an anti gell additive, there is
> some stuff called PRIST. it is used by jets for the
> cold temperatures they encounter at altitude. Sorry I
> don't know anything about it besides it's trade name,

It's a big oily ether that I don't remember the complete name for
either.  It is on the package, however.

> that it doesn't cost very much for the small
> concentrations required and it seems to work.

It's used at a concentration of about .09 ounces per gallon of jet fuel,
but the ratio has a pretty wide lattitude and isn't really critical.  If
you really need it more is better than less, as it's better to have it
and not need it than to need it and not have it.  A little goes a _long_
way.

> Maybe if
> someone has the interest in finding out what the stuff
> is you should go get some from an airport. They will
> have it anywere jet A is sold.

Not necessarily anywhere Jet-A is sold.  Many FBO's get their jet fuel
premixed with it.  Particularly here in Florida, where we have the worst
fuel icing problems in the country.  (No kidding, it's so bad they test
the stuff here.)

It's available in spray cans, and in 5 gallon jugs.  You can't just dump
it into the tank, though.  It has to be injected into the fuel stream at
the time you fill your tank, and there is a special adapter that fits
onto the end of the fuel nozzle to do this.

Prist has 3 functions:  It lowers the gel point of the fuel, acts as an
anti icing additive so that any entrained water doesn't freeze and clog
up the fuel system with ice crystals, and it is a surfactant so it tends
to keep entrained water in suspension.  It does this in jet fuel, at
least.  I don't know what it'd do in vege oil or biodiesel.

In fact it's a really serious surfactant.  I used some old Prist jugs to
collect WVO for processing into biodiesel a while back.  The stuff is
such a powerful surfactant that it interfered with every stage of the
biodiesel processing, especially the settling after the wash stage.  But
if you're running straight WVO then this shouldn't be a problem as long
as the water content of the fuel isn't too high for too long.

Look here
http://www.ppg.com/prist/default.asp
and see for yourself.

If you want to try some I think you can buy it from Sporty's catalog.
www.sportys.com

--
Aviation is more than a hobby.  It is more than a job.  It is more than
a career.  Aviation is a way of life.

Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
Refill any ink cartridge for less!
Includes black and color ink.