>I was "treating" my waste glycerin by leaving it out in the sun for a few
>weeks, and later putting a bubbler in it to evaporate the methanol. I am
>building a vacuum distiller that I can use to recover the methanol and reuse
>it. I believe that all the other stuff (lye, glycerin,leftover fry bits )
>are O.K to put down the drain in small quantities, as per the advice of
>someone who works in the SF water department that said it will all get
>digested along with the poop.
> I imagine large quantities, whatever that may constitute, would be a
>problem, but I have also been told that a constructed wetland water
>treatment system could handle a fair amount of this stuff, as long as one
>were able to give a more constant stream to build up the kind of bacteria
>that would be able to deal with that specific brew of stuff.
> There, now I've said it... some biodieselers put the waste down the drain.
>Any thoughts about that out there? I notice that the veggievan book, and if
>I recall correctly, the journey to forever site, too, are silent on the
>subject of getting rid of glyc. except for the compost heap, which can
>easily be "killed" by large amounts.
>anton

Hello Anton

Journey to Forever has a whole big page on the many uses of glycerin.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_glycerin.html

We don't discuss "disposal", no - don't agree with the concept. We've
discussed uses here on this list previously. Here's a new one on me,
from the Distillers list: "Glycerine is used to artificially 'age'
your spirit and give it a little more mouthfeel and smoothness.
Really good for liqueurs in combination with the sugar syrup. This
and other smoothing/aging tricks are on Tony's website under
'Flavouring & Aging'."

That's Tony Ackland's excellent site:
http://www.homedistiller.org

If you're killing your compost, add more "browns" (aka "dries"),
now's the time for autumn leaves. No good for red worms until it's
been composted first, by the way (kills 'em).

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

>-anyone has a method to treat the water from the bubble washing of
>-biodiesel? ....... this is a very good question! Somebody must know what is
>-actually in the dirty water and how much. Then an assessment of how
>damaging
>-the dirty water may be to the environment can be made. Large quantities of
>-this water may pollute local streams or rivers and even wells. Can't be too
>-careful on issues like this.

Quit now for Great
American Smokeout
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0vN8tD/9pSDAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM