From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 10:26 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [biofuel] Re: molecular sieves for dehydrating ethanol

If I remember right, people used to burn lime (CaCO3) to make
quicklime (CaO).  I suppose it would be expensive, but you could take
regular lime for adjusting pH in the soil and heat it so it
decomposes and releases the CO2 and becomes CaO (it might work if you
put a tin under the broiler of your oven or something.

I still think that if you can get ahold of some Calcium Chloride
(which they use in solution with water for ballast fluid in large
farm tires.) We use it all the time in our organnic chemistry lab at
college to soak up water from ethers, and alcohols we make in the
lab.  Swirl about a tablespoon around a 250 mL beaker until it is
completely lumped up and keep adding it until the salt doesn't lump
anymore.

And I was reading earlier about using a lump of Sodium to "dry"
alcohol.  Doing that would give you Sodium ethoxide an not ethanol
(of course, if that's what you're using to make biodiesel it works.
But you risk blowing yourself to kingdom come in the process)

JEFF

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Quit now for Great