Greg H. asks:

>Does anyone know if mixed alcohols are useable to make biodiesel? As
>far as I know, the making of biodiesel uses one alcohol or other, is
>the useing of say a Meth-Eth mix is ok or if this is a no-no.

I regularly use a mixture of 6 parts fuel-grade ethanol (anhydrous,
denatured with 2% gasoline) and 1 part methanol for my biodiesel.
As far as I can tell from the composition of the recovered alcohol mix,
the methanol is entirely consumed and the ethanol is consumed as
required to use up the remaining oil. The end result is approx. 69%
ethyl ester and 31% methyl ester. I've been using it in my '99 VW
Beetle for several months now (100% biodiesel) with fine perform-
ance. BTW, the reason for not using straight ethanol is that the methanol
seems to help the reaction separate when the oil isn't real clean. As it
is, I have to do a caustic refining step on any oil over about 2 ml titr.
Worth it, IMO, for the environmental benefits of EtOH over MeOH.

See What You've Been Missing!
Amazing Wireless Video Camera.
Click here
http://us.click.yahoo.com/75YKVC/7.PDAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM