Also a Mother Jones article a little while ago citing this -  fertilizer
being used as a carrier for cheap disposal of toxics. Spread it all over our
farmlands in small concentrations instead of paying to have it properly
disposed of. (Yikes!)

 I think it's time to start looking seriously at the role of  seedcake
pellets that emerge from cold presses as hard pellets, with probably twice
the oil content of those from solvent extraction facilities,  ready for use
as organic fertilizer. All the organic folks that are running diesels in
their operations should, as a matter of principle, be integrating these
biofuels and biolubricants and organic seedcake pellets ideas into their
work.

As for the pellets,  I tried some on my lawn in the fall, and we are having
a bit of a January thaw here right now... well, today I noticed the test
patch is nice and green, and starting to actually grow (January in Canada,
and my lawn is greeening...gee, d'ya think there might be something to this
climate change stuff?), while the rest of the lawn is still a bit brownish
and mushy/matted,  as it emerges from under the recently (until only a few
days ago) melted snow.

If I can keep the dog, the birds, and the deer from eating them all off the
lawn and gardens in the early spring before they break down after a few
rains/waterings, it'll be fine. (Ah, let the animals have some, who cares?).

 A nice slow release replacement, and a great use for the pellets, while the
oil goes for fuel and lubricants and other higher value markets (depending
on type pressed). It makes me smile. Especially since I can still remember
the taste of nitric or phos. acid, in the air from a nearby fertilizer
plant, when we went our for recess in elementary school. I grew up on a farm
near a major petrochemical producing region.

One of my environmental studies profs. once joked that was why my hair's
almost gone on top...I didn't find it all that funny, given the cancer rates
and other illnesses in the region, and the fact that my wife was
hospitalized for asthma,  could've died actually, and one of my kids had
allergies big time...until we moved as far away from it as we could go. Just
packed up and moved.  I had had enough.

And the doctors in the ole home area did not say to move, they said that it
would probably be just a temporary improvement if anything, and put her on
lots of puffers and stuff. Every year "bronchitis", coughing for weeks on
end. It was terrible.

That was six years ago. She has zero problems now. no more puffers, pills,
and side effects. My kids have no problems, very healthy. My allergies went
away (after years of shots). None of us take medication for these things,
and we rarely even get a cold. Meanwhile, relatives in that area, half the
kids or more seem to be on puffers for asthma, and the adults always seem to
have a "cold" or the "flu".

Uh huh. Right.

So why am I interested in all this biofuels stuff? Now you know. There are
tons of good reasons to stay on it and push for change. Literally tons. They
are currently spread on our fields, dumped in our water, and spewed into the
air (where they travel sometimes thousands of kilometers, polluting our
so-called "pristine" areas),  precipitating out and ending up in the water
again, in the food chain, and concentrating within us...by one pathway or
another. And we see the results in terms of our health. Sooner - or later.

But I digress...

Edward Beggs
www.biofuels.ca

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!