Some people trying to start an ethanol plant near Oshkosh, WI are
running into pretty stiff opposition from local residents, city council,
chamber of commerce, etc. Their main arguements are that those of "odor,
impact on ground water, and quality of life." Frankly, knowing the local
scene quite well, I suspect that the problem is more that the right
palms didn't get greased, but whatever.
    Can anyone point me to any documentation on air or water pollution
from ethanol plants? I know the neighbors of the one in St. Paul, MN
have complained of odor, but that's an old converted brewery, and I
would assume that any new plant would be more well designed -- after
all, ethanol escaping into the air is lost money, likewise CO2 lost into
the air in the brewing process is lost money, so where does the odor
come from? And, even so, is it any more of a problem than with beer
breweries? I've never heard any complaints about them (and we have a
*lot* of beer breweries in WI).

--
Harmon Seaver
CyberShamanix