--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Anton Berteaux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I live in california, and road diesel is dyed red. if they check
they fine
> you, i don't know how much. I have been told that semi trailer rigs
get
> checked often, that big pickups with off road diesel dispensing
tanks get
> checked, but that private vehicles almost never get checked.

You have the dyed fuels turned around. Road fuel is un-dyed. Off-road
only is colored Red. Don't be caught with Red fuel in your tanks on
the road. I experimented a bit, and ONE gallon of Red dyed fuel is
easily seen in a 100 gallon tank of otherwise clear fuel. It's pretty
obvious if you try to cheat.
The testing is very simple. They have a clear tube with a rubber bulb
on the end. Insert into the tank, squeeze the bulb and fuel is drawn
up into the clear tube. Visually, it's easy to see any trace of Red
dye. If there is none, they squirt it back into your tank, and you go
on. If it's Red or even possibly Red, they squirt the sample into a
collection bottle for lab analysis.
The rumor mill says it's $1 gallon fine for having Red fuel. My
latest Truck carries 260 gallons. It would take a LOT of undetected
cheating to break even. It isn't worth it!
Motie

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM