http://ens-news.com/ens/jan2002/2002L-01-31-09.html
Environment News Service: AmeriScan: January 31, 2002

Green Scissors: Subsidies To Energy Industry Set To Double

WASHINGTON, DC, January 31, 2002 (ENS) - Government subsidies to oil,
coal and nuclear power industries could double if the Senate approves
a House drafted energy bill (HR 4), according to a report released
today by the Green Scissors Campaign, a coalition of environmental
and citizens groups.

Led by Friends of the Earth, Taxpayers for Common Sense and the U.S.
Public Interest Research Group, the Green Scissors Campaign works
with Congress and the administration to end environmentally harmful
and wasteful spending.

"Running on Empty: How Environmentally Harmful Energy Subsidies
Siphon Billions from Taxpayers" details new and existing subsidies to
oil, coal, gas and nuclear power industries that would total $62
billion over the next 10 years.

"The richest polluters in the land are already raking in enormous,
mind-boggling handouts," said Erich Pica of Friends of the Earth,
director of the Green Scissors Campaign. "And our leaders want to
give them more while our economy is struggling? It's time for
President Bush and Congress to put a stop to this outrageous waste of
taxpayer dollars."

The report estimates that existing subsidies and tax breaks to
polluting energy industries totaling $33 billion will nearly double,
to $62 billion, if the House energy bill is signed into law. Coal,
oil and nuclear industry allies in Congress are promoting these new
subsidies despite the erosion over the past year of a four year
budget surplus into a $100 billion deficit.

The report documents some of the tax breaks and subsidies that energy
giants such as Enron lobbied for in the House energy bill. The now
bankrupt Enron, which paid no corporate income tax in four of the
last five years, would have benefited from tax breaks on pipelines as
well as royalty subsidies in the House bill. These handouts,
combined, total $4.9 billion dollars to industry over the next decade.

Both ChevronTexaco and British Petroleum have vast assets in the Gulf
of Mexico and could benefit from royalty relief and research and
development programs targeted towards activities in the Gulf.

The Senate is poised to begin debate on its own energy bill (S 1766)
in the next few weeks. While the legislation is incomplete, some
subsidies for fossil fuels and nuclear energy are already emerging.

"The subsidies and tax breaks in HR 4 reward the oil, coal and
nuclear industries that dirty our water and foul our air," added U.S.
Public Interest Research Group (PIRG) staff attorney Pierre Sadik.
"The Senate should reject these enormous polluter giveaways, and move
us toward a cleaner, smarter, and more secure energy future."

The Sustainable Energy Coalition rejected the president's call in his
State of the Union Address on Tuesday to pass HR 4. Said Susanna
Drayne, "The House bill sets back national energy policy with
handouts to already profitable and mature industries. It relies on
dirty, expensive, and dangerous fossil fuels and nuclear power. The
United States has three percent of global oil reserves but accounts
for 25 percent of global demand, and no amount of drilling at home
will enable us to reduce our dependence on foreign oil."

"A sound energy policy," said Drayne, "should give priority to
increasing energy efficiency in every sector of our economy and
greatly expanding use of our abundant renewable energy resources."

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM