Keith,
  I have made a couple jpg files showing the basics of the iodine
test.  I could also attach a text file or something to explain the
whole procedure, but basically, what an iodine test does, is not to
show the amount of double bonds, but how reactive those bonds are
(the more double bonds are broken and saturated by iodine, the fewer
double bonds remain, and the reaction rate slows down)

The iodine number is actually the amount of iodine consumed by an oil
expressed as the amount of iodine in centigrams vs. the amount of oil
in grams.  The number is expressed as a percent (since dividing
centigrams by 100 will give you grams)

Here is a website that shows basically what the iodine test entails
(this is the modern procedure in an analytical chemistry lab)

http://manuals.dot.state.tx.us/dynaweb/colmates/mtp/@Generic__BookText
View/150943

> <snip>
>
> >I could draw up a diagram and post it to the files section if
anyone
> >has questions.
>
> That would be useful, but the Files section is closed for uploads.
> can upload it though, if you send it to me direct. Which format
would
> you use?
>
> That's a diagram, not just an iodine table? Or a diagram and an
> iodine table? :-)
 <snip>

JEFF

Monitoring Service trial