>Can anyone give sound technical data as to why azeotropic distillation is
>no longer used commercially?

>Andy Thomson

As I recall, azeotropic distillation of ethanol uses benzene, or maybe hexane.
Benzene is a big problem with EPA, OSHA, etc., and probably similar groups
in other countries. Hexane shouldn't be any worse than gasoline, but I know
they can't use it for vegetable oil extraction anymore, so it's probably
highly regulated for ethanol as well. Also I suspect the extra distillation
steps (one with the azeotrope-forming compound, and then another to
remove it from the ethanol) are quite energy-intensive compared to the
newer methods.

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM