Dana,

I spent some time last night responding to your item, and for some reason it
never got  on the net, so will try again.  Many of your points I agree with.
Especially, that there should be no confrontation.  Purpose of any
preliminary actions should be only to surface the problem that small
biodiesel producers have in marketing their product. As you point out, these
problems will take some time to resolve and patience is indicated.   Such
preliminary actions could combine the various actions that are being
discussed:  1) Letter to Sec. Whitman from Congressman, 2) Further
discussion, possibly with your participation, to determine that Tom Lewe has
got the best deal he can from NBB, and, if necessary,  3) a public hearing.
This, ideally, should be a coordinated effort.   None of these items should
be confrontational, and, in fact,  :I believe they will have an altogether
negative effect if they become so.   First of all it is routine and not
confrontational for a constituent to ask his Congressman to surface a problem
he has with the EPA (or other Agency Head) Secretary.   This way the small
business constituent is assured that his problem will get some attention, for
several reasons:
 1) Control mail items like this automatically get priority consideration and
the constituent is assured of a responsive, timely answer.  It is the case of
getting high up enough in the priority chain to find someone authorized to
say "yes."   And, most such control mail items are not confrontational; it is
stupid for them to be so.
 2) For various valid reasons, previously discussed, Federal Agencies would
prefer not to deal with small business..  They like dealing with big
business, or with organizations like NBB mainly to avoid the taint of
preferential treatment.

You bring up a good point in questioning whether Tom Leue has got the best
response he can from NBB.  Now is the time to determine that, before things
proceed much further.  You claim experience in such negotiations.  For this
reason Tom Leue may wish to talk with you.  I recommend that he do so, and
for this reason am copying him on this message.  He might wish to consider
whether he has got up high enough in the NBB organization chain to find
someone who is authorized to say "yes."  It would embarass the Congressman, I
believe,  to find out that he was discussing an issue that could have been
resolved  earlier by Tom Leue, if he had more seriously negotiated with NBB.

Yes, I agree that, unlike a backyard producer of biodiesel,  a commercial
producer of biodiesel can't remain anonymous.  He has to involve EPA.
Operating in a black market economy, for the commercial producer,  is out of
the question.  Nor am I casting aspersions on "special interest groups."
Everyone is a member of some special interest group.  My point was that every
special interest group and indeed every individual has their own agendas.
The problem is to determine, in each case, whether their agendas coincide, in
the particular point(s) under consideration, with your own interests.  As
Keith brilliantly points out in a concurrent message, NBD's agenda distinctly
departs from our own at the point under discussion, where biodiesel enters
the marketplace.   They may, however, want to at least to appear cooperative
if this becomes a public issue.

Whatever is done for Yellow Biodiesel ought to be done in the name of the
small biodiesel producer, to avoid the taint of  "preferential treatment."
This would be a keyword when dealing with EPA.   And, to use the concept
positively, EPA, as I understand, has already provided some special
consideration for small petrodiesel producers.   A precedent has thererfore
been set for biodiesel producers to ask for similar considerations.   Federal
Agencies, I have found, generally recognize, at least in concept, that small
businesses, as a group, deserve some special considerations.   Another point
to consider, in dealing with NBD, and illustrating the importance of
surfacing this issue and giving it great and open visibility, is that NBD
would want to be considered  as dealing fairly with the small biodiesel
producers.  As Keith points out, though they do not consider the small
biodiesel producers as serious competitors,  they depend  upon farmers for
much of their support, and upon biodiesel supporters generally for their
lobbying activities.  They would not want to alienate the biodiesel audience,
 but like EPA, they might be temped to handle the issue with lip service,
unless pressed for more serious treatment.  Some serious negotiation, as you
point out, is required.  Moreover these matters must be delicately handled to
avoid getting noses out of joint.  A "bull in a china closet" attitude is
going to get nowhere and will  instead set this biodiesel program back..
.

Will respond further if you find this useful.

Glenn

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ACHqaB/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM