Hi Alan, Harmon and all

I do believe that low voter turnouts have less to do with the widely
alleged apathy/ignorance than with despair at what's on offer, and
not just in the US. How about if you could vote against as well as
for? I bet that'd turn them out alright! Is there any government in
the world that would go for that? LOL! Well, if not, why not? How
many govts can claim a majority mandate these days? A majority of
corporations maybe.

I much agree with you about local elections though Alan. They do
provide an opportunity for real politics and real involvement, and
it's sad the turnouts are so low. Older journalists sometimes say
they'd like to go back to the small town they came from, or any small
town, and start a radio station or a local rag, because it's about
the only chance left for any real journalism. They have a point.
Maybe the same applies to politics. I think it's the level where it's
most effective to try to change things, as with Craig's original
suggestion re campaigning for biodiesel:

>Maybe we should just start hounding Congress to support biodiesel in any way
>possible, including paying farmers to grow soy for its production and
>mandating its use over petroleum diesel.  They could do all of this in the
>name of the WAR and Homeland Security.  They seem to be able to pass
>anything else for these reasons, why not support for biodiesel?
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Craig Rogers

Biodiesel and biofuels can fit in so well with local issues.
Bioregionalism, local community self-reliance in energy. Start
hounding Town Hall as well as Congress?

How about what happens in Vermont?

http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/5253
Vermont: Takin' It To Town