Ken writes:

>Keith writes:
>
> >A very industrialised post-modern view, Ken - ie, naively
> >pessimistic. :-) Your "REAL" hasn't applied to most humans
> >who've lived, and still doesn't to most now alive, who're
> >neither industrialised nor post-modern, for the most part.
> >Maybe they'll succeed in skipping this little blip in history
> >altogether, eh? Along with its pessimisms.
>
>If by people who're "neither industrialised nor post-modern"
>you're thinking of the Yanomamo, you MAY be right, but I
>think it's just the absence of a written history that allows us
>to romanticize them and attribute great ethical standards to
>them. The Native Americans, commonly praised for their
>ecological sensitivity, could also be very brutal, and were
>probably spared from decimating their environment only
>by their low and sparse populations.

No, I didn't particularly mean any of those. I'm not attributing
great ethical standards to anyone really, I wasn't saying the
opposite of what you said, just disagreeing with what you said,
different thing. By the way, it's pretty well established now that an
oral history can be much more accurate and reliable than a written
one. And it seems those populations weren't low and sparse, according
to this, and other stuff I've encountered, though I don't know very
much about it:
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2002/03/mann.htm
1491

>And if you mean anyone more modern, like say, in developing
>African nations, or in central or southern Asia, well.....
>enough said.

No, not at all enough said. Who of those people do you have a view
of? Their urban elites? Or via their urban elites? Just a twisted
mirror, obscuring the reality you want us to get real about. But no,
not only them. No use trying to narrow it down, you have to broaden
it out. Take away the cities and what's left? Most people. And
indeed, many people in the cities too.

>Mind you, I'm not saying people are all wretched, just that
>they've never had a reputation for choosing the reasonable,
>prudent, or RIGHT course, and I wouldn't expect them to
>start now.

Clearly you don't. I disagree, only I wouldn't see it as "starting".
But then you belong to an industrialised society, and I don't.
History is perhaps largely a series of interruptions, maybe not very
relevant. Traditional societies continued nonetheless as they may, as
they still do, and will do. Have you eaten a cabbage recently? Or
broccoli, cauliflower, brussels spouts, kohlrabi? All developed from
the same wild original, not very appetising. Eaten bread? Potatoes?
Beans? An apple? Beef? The fact that you weren't left with a poor
choice of their original ancestors, if you could even find them, is
due to patient work by entire societies through scores or hundreds of
generations. Keeping the best seed each year is an incredibly
far-sighted thing to do. What kind of food would you be eating today
if humans habitually chose the unreasonable, imprudent, wrong course?
If pessimism were wise? Would you even be here at all? The fact that
we inherited a viable environment for Industrial Man to ruin, or try
to, is due to the same thing, no accident, not by default. Sure,
there were failures - see Lowdermilk, for instance:
http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library/Lowd/Lowd1.html

Famous book - but Lowdermilk was primed to see failure, he went
looking for it. F.H. King wasn't so primed:
http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010122king/ffc.html

And neither am I.

Progress, eh? Very relative thing. MM said this here the other day:

"I'm thankful to live in a civilization making its growing pain efforts
to become modern, and that to some extent food in general is
dramatically easier for me to work for and acquire than for some of my
ancestors."

In fact, as with all of us, he spends more time earning money to pay
for his food than a hunter-gatherer spends hunting and gathering it,
and guess who has the healthier diet? The healthier life? If you
think pre-industrial traditional people died at an early age riddled
with disease, well, sorry, that's wrong too:
http://journeytoforever.org/text_price.html
The Darwin of nutrition - Weston A. Price

I think what you say might apply to industrialised society, parts of
it, maybe, not the rule at all. And what exactly does that amount to?
Extraction, brief utilisation, and waste, plus widespread damage and
destruction. As against which you'll set what? Do without it? Sure,
any time - me and most people. And you?

But, to get back to the original post, there's no need - it's
perfectly possible to have it both ways, the two things can easily
co-exist, quite sustainably, and indeed thrive together. As indeed
they will have to. And will do. But it's the cities that will have to
do the changing. Isn't that why we're all making biodiesel?

Regards