Murdoch wrote:

<snip>

>The technology you cite is interesting, although my initial take is
>that it's not the be-all end-all appropriate for everywhere, but worth
>pursuing only for some communities, depending on the exact needs and
>size.  I am skeptical of the heavy metal treatment claims made for
>this technology.

The Arcata system is not unique, nor even controversial, it's pretty
well-established in a large number of variations worldwide.

Phytoremediation is an established method of heavy-metal extraction,
as well as a wide range of other pollutants. Best plants for this are
water hyacinth and duckweed. See "Pond weeds":
http://journeytoforever.org/edu_pond.html

There's a water hyacinth project in San Diego county, at the San
Pasqual Aquatic Treatment Facility.

Best

Keith