Industrial deep cycle batteries
Sometimes called "fork lift", "traction" or "stationary" batteries, are used
where power is needed over a longer period of time, and are designed to be
"deep cycled", or discharged down as low as 20% of full charge (80% DOD, or
Depth of Discharge). These are often called traction batteries because of
their widespread use in forklifts, golf carts, and floor sweepers (from
which we get the "GC" and "FS" series of battery sizes). Deep cycle
batteries have much thicker plates than automotive batteries.

Plate Thickness
Plate thickness (of the Positive plate) matters because of a factor called
"positive grid corrosion". This ranks among the top 3 reasons for battery
failure. The positive (+) plate is what gets eaten away gradually over time,
so eventually there is nothing left - it all falls to the bottom as
sediment. Thicker plates are directly related to longer life, so other
things being equal, the battery with the thickest plates will last the
longest.

Automotive batteries typically have plates about .040" (40/1000") thick,
while forklift batteries may have plates more than 1/4" (.265" for example
in the Rolls-Surrette) thick -  almost 7 times as thick as auto batteries.
The typical golf cart will have plates that are around .07 to .11" thick.
The Concorde AGM's are .115", The Rolls-Surrette L-16 type (CH460) is .150",
and the US Battery and Trojan L-16 types are .090".

Most industrial deep-cycle batteries use Lead-Antimony plates rather than
the Lead-Calcium used in AGM or gelled deep-cycle batteries. The Antimony
increases plate life and strength, but increases gassing and water loss.
This is why most industrial batteries have to be checked often for water
level if you do not have Hydrocaps. The self discharge of batteries with
Lead-Antimony plates can be high - as much as 1% per day on an older
battery. A new AGM typically self-discharges at about 1-2% per month, while
an old one may be as much as 2% per week.
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#What is a Battery?
cut and paste -- is broken. is a battery is part of addr.
http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ_Index.htm

Kirk