----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2002 5:56 PM
Subject: [biofuel] Re: Making methanol and lye -

> Hi Paul
>
> > > It got a bit garbled in transmission, not sure what this character
> > > might have been: &#8594
> >
> >Keith looks like the mystery garble should have been an arrow or
> >gives/yields.
>
> Um, yes. Duh! I don't mind admitting it all looks like fly-shit to
> me. Well, not quite, I can follow it up to a point but easily get
> lost. Should've guessed the arrows though.

Wouldn't worry too much about it Keith its all in house stuff.
Each discipline has its own jargon, show me some shorthand or typesetting
instructions and I wouldn't have a clue what it was all about.
Thats what we are all here for, to pool our knowledge, help each other out
and bounce ideas off each other.

> >ie :  2 Cl --   --->   Cl2  (gas) + 2 e --  (electrons)
   chloride ions              gas             electrons
(chloride ions as existing in the ionic state in sodium chloride solution)
> >Whether the arrows are oneway or two way I'm not sure in all cases.
> >Then below should read
> >

> > ... Consider the electrolysis(application of an electric current via two
electrodes) of a water solution of sodium chloride
> > (common table salt).  At the anode (the negative electrode)the product
is, as one might
> > expect, chlorine gas.
> >
> > anode :
> >  2 Cl --  --->      Cl2  (gas) + 2 e --  (electrons)
> >
> > Bubbles of hydrogen form at the cathode;(the positive electrode) the
solution immediately surrounding this electrode becomes strongly basic.
This evidence  indicates that a water molecule rather than a sodium ion is
being
> > reduced :
> >
> > cathode :
> >   2 H2O + 2 e --  --->    H2 (g) + 2 OH --

(quite a bit lost in the translation I'm afraid ,the hydroxide ion should be
represented as OH with a superscript  minus after it.
> > It appears that the water molecule is more readily reduced than the
> > Na+  ion. This is entirely reasonable when you consider the addition
> > of sodium metal to water results in the spontaneous reaction :
> >
> > 2 Na (solid) + 2 H2O  --->     2 Na+ + H2 (g) + 2 OH --
Not far wrong about that spontaneous reaction. Teachers at my school used to
perform what they called the "Red Sea Experiment". A paper boat would be
constructed by one of the students. The boat would be floated on water in a
large glass phneumatic trough (fancy words used to describe glass dish about
30cm diam and 15cm high usually used when collecting gas in a gas jar by
displacement of water). Some phenolphalein indicator had been mixed into the
water previously. This indicator is colourless in acidic or neutral
solutions but turns bright pink/purple in alkaline solution.
A piece of sodium was then placed in the boat. As the paper absorbed water
the boat would sink lower in the water. Bilge water would react with the
sodium. The reaction gave off hydrogen and generated much heat causing the
hydrogen to burst into flames. This in turn set fire to the boat which would
burn to the waterline exposing more of the sodium to water  The reaction
also created alkaline conditions (the sodium hydroxide produced) within the
water causing the phenolphthalein to turn bright pink/purple. Very
spectacular when it works right but the problem is the unpredictable burn
rate of the sodium. The reaction rate is to a large extent dependent upon
the skill of the boat builder. Often the reaction is so fierce that the
sodium is liquified and hydrogen forms beneath/within it creats explosions
which scatter burning liquid sodium for some distance. Very spectacular
unless you happen to be in range. Some of our labs have burn marks on the
ceiling as testimony of that little bit too much sodium. Experiment has been
banned by head of department for safety reasons. Ah all the excitement has
gone out of chemistry these days. We all learn by mistakes especially
memorable ones, just so long as we are still around to remenber.

Regards  Paul Gobert.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM