Michael:

You know, if you're really interested in using ethanol to
make biodiesel, you oughta just cough up (once!) the
$40 a pint or $150 a gallon and get some 200 proof stuff
(with tax) to experiment with. Try Aaper in Kentucky, or
Pharmco -- do a Google search, you'll find them.

You may conclude that getting the ethanol is the least of
your problems -- the many difficulties achieving a successful
separation with ethanol may discourage you from pursuing
the matter any further. My conclusions after months of expts.
were as follows:

The oil must be substantially free of free fatty acids, preferably
titrating (with the typical 0.1% NaOH soln.) under 1ml, and
definitely under 2ml.

The alcohol must be completely dry. The 0.5% water in the
fuel-grade ethanol is the absolute max you can tolerate. Any
additional (from the air during storage, for example) must be
removed with zeolite or something else.

Even meeting those criteria, you may still have failure of
separation of a glycerine phase. Consistent success required
(for me at least) including anywhere from 10 to 35% methanol
with the ethanol.

But get some and try it for yourself, on a small scale first.  -K

Sell a Home for Top $
http://us.click.yahoo.com/RrPZMC/jTmEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM